Friday 16 September 2016

Knowing God's favour: It's All About His Face

Friend of God - Israel Houghton

The shining face of God


A sunburst of light rays indicating warmth and brightness“The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face towards you
    and give you peace.”
 
Numbers 6:24-26, ESV

These are the words the LORD instructed High Priest Aaron to use to bless the people of Israel. Is it surprising that the highest blessing the LORD can bestow on His favoured people is that His face will shine upon them?

What? Just His face, nothing else? What about wishes for good health, or for them to prosper and do well? Or even those things that we expect the Almighty to wish, for obedient hearts and that His people’s faces are turned towards Him? Yes, all of those; and more. It is all about His face.

The aspect of a face is important. When my 8 month old granddaughter and I get to see one another on FaceTime her little face lights up when she realises that it me; it shines! She delights in me and shows me favour, irrespective of whether I deserve it. It makes me feel good and I am blessed. How like the Lord’s attitude! It makes me want to be the sort of grandmother that meets my granddaughter’s expectations. And the Lord’s favour makes me want to match up to the delight and trust He displays in me.

Of course, the Lord’s “eyes are too pure to look on evil; He cannot tolerate wrongdoing” (Habakkuk 1:13, ESV) so it is important that I keep an eye on myself and confess and claim forgiveness through Jesus when I have done wrong and sinned. Otherwise His eyes will be turned away from my sin and the light of His face may not shine through.

By contrast, when someone I know, someone that I know has seen me, studiously ignores me and walks past without a look, smile or even a nod, then I feel neglected and rejected, particularly if that person is a friend. So must the Lord feel when I fail to respond to His face turned in radiance towards me. 

The light of God's face brings joy and strength

It is such a good thing to walk in the light of the righteousness that Jesus provides through His death and resurrection. It is such a good thing to consciously lift up my face towards the Lord in response to the love, grace and favour shown in His face shining towards me. It brings amazing benefits. As the psalmist Ethan the Ezrahite wrote in Psalm 89 (here in The Voice translation, where the words in italics have been added to aid understanding):
15How happy are those who have learned how to praise You;
    those who journey through life by the light of Your face.
16 Every hour of the day, they rejoice at the sound of Your name.
    They are lifted up and encouraged by Your righteousness.
17 For You are the beauty of their strength.
    On account of Your favour, our strength, our horn, is increased.
18 For our shield of protection comes from the Eternal,
    and the Holy One of Israel has given us our king.
Ethan knew that walking in the light of the Lord’s face brings joy, encouragement, increasing strength and the Lord’s protection. Wow - all this! It is indeed all about His face.

And that was before the cross of Jesus. I think I fail to appreciate just what a tremendous privilege I have as a Christian, the privilege of gazing on the face of the Lord without encumbrance and in doing so actually be changed to be like Him:  

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.  For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.  2 Corinthians 3:18 ESV

Friendship with God!

And not only gaze but relate as friends.  In the Old Testament it was said of Moses that “the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face.” (Exodus 33:11, ESV), the privilege now accorded to Jesus’ disciples whom he calls friends (John 15:15). I am a friend of God! I can speak to Him face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. What an honour!

It is all about His face, His favour, His friendship. May I walk in the light of that daily, with my eyes turned to His eyes.

Bible passages taken from English Standard Version (ESV)  The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. 

Link: Friend of God - Israel Houghton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0cgUKMqRs


No comments:

Post a Comment